Tuesday, September 27, 2011

GMP 2010

gmp

Grand Marian Procession 2010

Slide1

Time flies so fast. It has now been 10 years since I first learned of the Grand Marian Procession in Intramuros. It was Saturday,the day before the GMP 2000 procession when I read Josephine Darang's article in Inquirer, Saturday edition. I called one of my bestest friend to ask if he could come with me to Intramuros (going to Intramuros was daunting to me that time...so far...) and luckily I found out my friend was also heading to Intramuros and to GMP since they are required by ROTC to participate either as carroza pullers or as "human barricade." During the day of the procession, we had to split ways since he needs to report to his platoon and do whatever task will be assigned to him while I was left behind in the front of the Cathedral wondering where to go next. I can no longer remember what transpired after my friend and I separated ways momentarily but what I can vividly recall is how I was seated in one of the chairs fronting the church, best seats in the house, plus with program in hand. I never had the same luck eversince but it surely made my first experience of GMP very memorable.

Slide2
GMP 2010. A beautiful day to have a procession, facade of Manila Cathedral.

Unfortunately that time digital cameras are not yet common, if am not mistaken I was only introduced to digital camera's in 2002. Colored mobile phones with cameras are still a dream for almost everyone. We have an analog SLR camera at home but it was too complicated for me to handle. We have a regular point and shoot camera with film at home as well, but I did not bring it. I am trying to figure out why I have no pictures taken that day. I have means to take pictures but I never did bring a camera with me. Maybe because that time I really don't have a clue what GMP is? Or maybe since it was kind of late notice, I had less time to prepare? Whatever the reason maybe it was a mistake not to bring a camera. Among the GMP's I have seen nothing compares to the line-up that year with the inclusion of the Mysteries of the Holy Rosary and Christ the King. I have this thing with Marian processions that they are too...well Marian, and that an image of Christ aside from St. Joseph should also be included either at the start or at the end of the procession disregarding whatever protocol should be followed for fiestas...because it feels right that way.

GMP has shaped and changed my view of processions. Before GMP my concept of processions is usually 10 carros long, plastic decorations and family sewn vestments for the images. After GMP, it's like a whole new world, a whole new direction, a whole new mindset. What was originally beautiful has become "pueda na." I have never seen so much flowers on a carroza, all fresh. I have never seen silver carroza's before. I have never thought family images can be bejewelled as church images. I never even thought of carroza's with its own music (the image of the Carrying of the Cross has rock shaped speakers). GMP introduced me to the worldly and extravagant aspect of pagsasanto, it's artistic nature and it's perpetual homage to beauty. Not saying it is a bad thing, GMP widened my horizon that there is more to what I am accustomed to. When I was younger, whenever I look out the window of a moving vehicle what I see are not other cars but carroza's in one line, a very very long procession that seems to never end. Never thought it exists in reality once a year in Intramuros.

GMP 2010 Snapshots

Slide45
Slide46
Slide47
Slide49
Slide50
Slide55
Slide51

Slide60
gmpf
Slide54
One source of Magnificence

Slide53
Something old and something new

Slide52
First time attendee, Our Lady of Salambao

Slide41
gmpf
Slide56

Beautiful crucifixes at GMP 2010.

GMP 2010
GMP 2010
GMP 2010
GMP 2010
GMP 2010
GMP 2010
GMP 2010

Solos and Moments

GMP 2010
GMP 2010
GMP 2010
Festejada, Patrona and Coronadas

GMP 2010
GMP Fashion...appropriate or not...Egyptian, Vegas what else? And how the sagalas were handling the incense...good grief buti hindi inaatake sa puso ang mga paring nanunuod...hindi ito Ms. Universe or Fashion Show (a inaatake na naman ako ng pagiging conservative ko!

GMP 2010
San Andres, patron saint of Intramuros leading the Grand Marian Procession

With all the learnings, inspiration and experience GMP has given me there are practices and things I have observed that I do not appreciate and approve. But I guess that is part of my learning: what I can do and replicate vs what I won't do because it doesn't feel right. In the process I get to know myself better, my taste and preference and how I perceive beauty.

GMP 2010

The 31st Grand Marian Procession is a special day for me, not only because I am celebrating my tenth year of attendance but more importantly, I feel that all the things I have written so far are making an impact even to GMP. (Or at least let me think that, that's really the
case...hahaha). Although I find most of the carroza decoration a bit safe and "the usual" (for my taste), all in all, majority of the carrozas are well made.

GMP 2010 Must see list:

GMP 2010

I'd have to say that the 31st GMP belongs to Our Lady of Piat, from her carroza, to her entourage until her entrance in front of Manila Cathedral with all the fireworks; it was just splendid. Her carroza is my top pick this year. It was a complete 360 degrees turn from her usually over decorated and amorphous floral arrangment...clap clap clap...I had to take pictures of all sides of the carroza for proper documentation because each side can be used as reference for future projects. I liked the way how they used the garlands of roses and orchids at the front of the carroza; and for more visual impact the five huge pineapple-shaped arrangements behind the virgin (the tarpaulin should have been removed). Most importantly, I can already see the decoration of her silver plated pukpok carroza, at long last they were able to strike a balance between volume of flowers and empty space on the carroza! I hope this continuous in the next GMP's to come, am already looking forward to next year.

GMP 2010
In 1604, she was brought from Macau to the Philippines to aid in the evangelization of the Itawes region, covering the towns of Tabang, Malaweg, Tuau and Piat. The image was first enshrined in the church of Lallo, then the Episcopal seat of the diocese of the former Nueva Segovia. It was later brought to Piat and enshrined in one of the two altars at the Church of Sto. Domingo. "Our Lady of Piat's Crowning Glory. Jaser A. Marasigan. www.travelsmart.net/article/105469/

Our Lady of Piat has a beautiful website dedicated to her...check it out.
www.piatbasilica.org/index.php

What can you do with Php 30,000?...No clue? Well good thing here's a benchmark for you, the carroza of St. Joseph...beautiful arrangement, beautiful color coordination etc etc...the money was utilized well although I can't really say "well spent"...

GMP 2010
St. Joseph, the spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the foster-father of Jesus. St. Joseph was an ordinary manual laborer although descended from the royal house of David. In the designs of Providence he was destined to become the spouse of the Mother of God. His high privilege is expressed in a single phrase, "Foster-father of Jesus." About him Sacred Scripture has little more to say than that he was a just man-an expression which indicates how faithfully he fulfilled his high trust of protecting and guarding God's greatest treasures upon earth, Jesus and Mary.

My Annual Favorites

The carroza of Our Lady of Orani, Bataan..

GMP 2010

This is what I am talking about when you say Grand Marian Procession...overwhelming but does not attack your senses; memorable but in a good way and will always elicit instant recall.

GMP 2010
Our Lady of the Rosary of Orani was the title given to Our Blessed Virgin Mary by the townpeople of Samal who were witness to her miracles and led to the establishment of the town and parish of Orani.

The carroza of Mater Dormitio. No flowers just leaves. No expensive embroideries or jewelries. No silver pukpok carroza not even a well carved wooden carroza. But you can't take your eves off the carroza and the image. Dramatic, simple but elegant and solemn, a carroza that is very well put together, overwhelming the senses with no effort at all. This is a beautiful inspiration for Holy Week 2011.

GMP 2010
The repose (dormition) or "falling-asleep" of the Mother of Jesus Christ, our Lord.

The Carroza of Our Lady of Montserrat an example of a well-thought-of carroza which was flawlessly executed.

GMP 2010

Design and form; creativity and resourcefulness; color and props...all are exceptional.

GMP 2010
The people heard a heavenly voice singing. They tried to find where the voice came from, the sounds bouyed down to the slopes of Montserrat mountain ranges. They failed to find the owner of the angelic voice but what they discovered was a statue of a the Madonna, Mary with the Infant Jesus seated on her lap.

Another carroza that oozes with creativity and resourcefulness, the carroza of Our Lady of Penafrancia

GMP 2010

Upon closer inspection, those silver sticks are glued to a long plastic tube instead of sticks, I guess for more "movement" as the carroza moves. What a great idea! Also, I love how they used crumpled sheets of silver foil for the garlands.

GMP 2010
Our Lady of Peñafrancia, named after a mountain range in Salamanca in Spain where the Lady was first found, was introduced to the Philippines by the Covarrubias family of Spain.
The image is an easel painting done on thick canvas made to look like a three dimensional image with the addition of a "manto" at the back of the painting.


Just the right touch, "Divine Shepherdess

GMP 2010
Mary, as mother, is the guardian of the Divine Shepherd, Jesus Christ.

The Given's

Although I am not a fan of overdecorated carroza's you can't simply resist appreciating a carroza bedecked with beautiful expensive flowers...it's a given. The carroza of "Our Lady of the Assumption.

GMP 2010
The translation or assumption into heaven of the body of the Theotokos

The carroza of "Our Lady of the Stars"

GMP 2010

The carroza of "Our Lady of Fatima." I have mentioned before that the carroza of Our Lady of Fatima has been arranged the same way for the past years-same design and same flowers. This year is a welcome change but I still would want to see a different look since the form and shape is basically still the same.

GMP 2010
A title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary with respect to reported apparitions of her to three shepherd children at Fátima in Portugal on the 13th day of six consecutive months in 1917, starting on May 13

The carroza of Our Lady of Solitude of Porta Vaga

GMP 2010
Also called "Reina de Cavite," Patroness of Cavite and "La Virgen de la Soledad."

GMP 2010
The Blessed Virgin Mary is depicted as Our Lady of Sorrows. Mary, garbed in black and white attire, seems to be on her knees as she contemplates the Passion of Her Son, Jesus. Before her are the crown of thorns and the nails, the instrument of Christ's Crucifixion.

The carroza of Our Lady of Buensuceso

GMP 2010
Our Lady of Good Success, also called as Our Lady of Good Events or Ina ng Mabubuting Pangyayari

The carroza of Our Lady of Sorrows of Turumba

GMP 2010
The original image of Our Lady is a 9" x 11" oil painting on canvas. The Face of Mary is contorted by pain from the daggers plunged in her heart. This relic is presently kept at the Parish of San Pedro Alcantara in Pakil, Laguna The second image of the Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Sorrows is a replica of the image of Nuestra Señora de las Antiguas from Spain

The carroza of Our Lady of Sorrows of Dolores, Quezon

GMP 2010
Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows or Our Lady of the Seven Dolours are names by which the Blessed Virgin Mary is referred to in relation to sorrows in her life.

The carroza of Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs. I like surprises. The arrangement is very traditional but I love the flowers used. Best part is the arangement at the bottom with the shells and yellow green orchids punctuating the garlands.

GMP 2010
Recall the sorrow that she endured watching her only Son die on the Cross. We ask for the grace and strength to endure our own sufferings for the sake of Christ, as Mary, Our Lady of Sorrows, did.

Special Mention

The carroza of Our Lady of Guibang--no more UP Lantern Parade-ish carroza,no more Propaganda's--another welcome change this year...and one of the reasons I really believe I made a difference...hahaha!

GMP 2010
Her official title is Our Lady of the Visitation of Guibang, a barrio of Gamu in Isabela. Our Lady of Guibang was canonically crowned by Apostolic Nuncio Carmine Rocco in May l973, while the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines in January l986, elevated her church in Guibang to a national shrine. Tradition reveals that way back in 1905, a certain young man brought the image to the hut of a poor couple named Francisco Noe and Maria Noble and asked them to pray the Rosary and offer good works of mercy in honor of the virgin, the image of the Virign has been miraculous ever since

31st GMP Key Take-aways!

1. The One Sided Extended Garland. Who says garlands should only snake around the body of the carroza? This is one of the designs I presented for Our Lady of Candelaria for last year's GMP but it was deemed too risque. I am so happy that this year I've seen this type of arrangement. I feel vindicated. It really looks nice and you can really be creative with it...although this works best if you have a beautifully carved carroza. If the carroza has no carvings (see bottom left) you expose this to the viewer.

GMP 2010
The Cofradia image of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception with its blue painted palm leaves that look like feathers from afar; the image of Our Lady of Angels decorated with red ostrich plumes.

GMP 2010
The carroza of Mayor Dolor with multi-colored ostrich plumes

3. Decorating outside the carroza...extending the surface area.

GMP 2010
Very creative. The Carroza of Our Lady of Loreto

4. Pink is the new white!

GMP 2010
I've noticed a lot of carroza's using pink this year...hmmm...Our Lady of the Abandoned, Marikina City

5. Paper Flowers

GMP 2010
Our Lady of Remedies. If I am not mistaken this is the first time I have seen paper flowers used in GMP.

Hoping for the best!

Eto na..."What were they thinking?"

The carroza of Our Lady of Victories

GMP 2010
The addition of designer lamps did not even spell any difference.

The carroza of Dela O! and Immaculate Heart

GMP 2010
Left picture, Dela O...did the municipality pay for the decorations?; Right picture, why cover a beautiful antique carroza that way, why? Oh the injustice!

The carroza of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

GMP 2010
More flowers does not always translate to beauty.

Here's to more GMP memories! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment