Monday, October 24, 2011

Our Lady of Grace (Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal)

I have made it a habit to pin Our Lady's medal in the Marian images I own... 

Slide23 (Small)
Image of Our Lady of Grace owned by the Dela Paz Family of Marikina

This is how St. Catherine Laboure recounts the event:

On November 27, 1830, the Saturday before the first Sunday in Advent, at 5:30 P.M., while I was making my Meditation in deep silence, I seemed to hear a sound, like the rustling of a silk dress. Turning my eyes in that direction, I saw the Blessed Virgin near the picture of St. Joseph. She was well proportioned and so beautiful that I could not describe Her. She was standing, and her robe was the color of the dawn, high at the neck, and plain sleeves. On Her head She had a white veil, which fell down on each side to Her feet. Her hair was parted in front and confined in a sort of coif, trimmed with a narrow crochet lace. Her face was quite uncovered, and Her feet were resting on a globe, of which about half was visible. Her hands were raised up to the height of Her girdle, in a graceful posture, holding another globe, which She seemed to press to Her Heart. Her eyes were turned to Heaven, and Her countenance was most beautiful.

All of a sudden the globe disappeared from her hands, and her fingers were filled with rings with most precious gems. From these, rays of light went forth to all sides, enveloping Her in such splendor that one could see neither Her feet nor Her robe.

As I was absorbed in contemplating the Blessed Virgin, She lowered Her eyes to me, and said: "The globe which you see" (I understood Her to mean the one She had beneath Her feet) "represents the world, especially France, and every single person." And then She added: "The rays are the symbol of the graces I shed on those who ask Me for them." Then an oval frame was formed around the Blessed Virgin, on which these words were stamped in letters of gold:


"O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee."


The inscription was arranged in a semi-circle, beginning from Her right hand, and passing over the head, finished at the height of Her left-hand.
Then a voice said to me:

"Have a Medal struck according to this model, those who wear it after being blessed, shall receive great graces, especially if they wear it round their neck. Graces will be abundant for those who have confidence."


At that instant the picture seemed to turn round, and on the reverse I saw the letter M surmounted by a cross, with a big line at the base, and underneath the letter M were the Hearts of Jesus and Mary; the first, encircled by a crown of thorns; the other, pierced by a sword.

Read more Our Lady of Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment