Sunday, April 7, 2013

Biyernes Santo 2013 at Poblacion, San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan

This was one memorable Good Friday!

Slide22 (Small)
The plan was to finish with all the carroza preparations before 3 pm since this is the Year of the Faith, a call to focus more on the liturgical services more than the devotionals...unfortunately, a minor accident on the road delayed me. A motorcycle driver lost his balance upon turning around a sharp curve, opposite side, he and his companion slid towards my car. Good thing I was able to spot them so I slowly stopped...but the collision was inevitable. But no point in dwelling in the setbacks, upon reaching Poblacion it was a mad dash from dressing the images to finishing the carroza arrangements.

From sketch to reality

Slide2 (Small)
The Carroza of Sta. Maria Cleofe, I sketched the design and a dear friend executed it adding his own touch.

Slide5 (Small)
The carroza of the Kristong Gapos. Taking my art to the next level, I was somehow inspired by the issues the whole Catholic priesthood is facing in designing the carroza. Jesus is dressed as priest (and as the Kristong Gapos is tied) symbolizing the priesthood persecuted for sins allegedly committed such as corruption and child abuse. The image is surrounded by garlands of apples symbolizing sin surrounding even the most holiest of persons here on earth.

From Dream to Reality, my images in the Holy Week Line-up

Dreams do come true and I am grateful to God that I am blessed and able to make what I conceive in my mind a reality. It takes a lot of hard work not just from me but from family and friends (especially from family members who show their love for me by continuously supporting me and what I want) but in the end God's grace makes it all happen and worthwhile.

Slide6 (Small)
Kristong Gapos and now Sta. Maria Cleofe...what next? I think I am good with this. I pray that other parishioners will take on the role of camareros for other Holy Week images...but I still keep an open mind for Sta. Marta...

Slide4 (Small)

Slide1 (Small)

The Primera Salida of Sta. Maria Cleofe and the Holy Week images of our Parish

Slide3 (Small)
Sta. Maria Cleofe holding a white cloth for Good Friday symbolizing her presence at the foot of the cross, and probably one of the women who assisted during the burial of Jesus. On Easter she will be holding the traditional broom (but not the walis tingting, for aesthetic reasons I prefer the walis tambo).

Slide7 (Small)
At long last, the Tres Marias are complete: Cleofe, Salome and Magdalena...believed to have gone to the tomb to anoint or embalm or clean (that I am not sure) the body of Jesus but were surprised to find an empty tomb.

And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre? And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great. And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him. But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you. (Mark 16:2-7)

Slide8 (Small)
The mourners: Mary, Sta. Veronica, St. John and St. Peter.

Slide9 (Small)
Reflecting on the events leading to His death: Agony in the Garden, Arrest, Scourging and Crowning and Carrying of the Cross

Procession Starts

Slide10 (Small)

Slide11 (Small)

Slide12 (Small)

Slide13 (Small)

Slide14 (Small)

Slide15 (Small)

Slide16 (Small)

Slide17 (Small)

Slide18 (Small)

Slide19 (Small)

During the final blessing, I chanced upon a parishioner who claims to have been a previous care taker of the image of Sta. Veronica. According to him the old practice after the procession, the cloth that Sta. Veronica holds, is given away to a lucky devotee who is able to catch it. There are other practices that seem to be missing nowadays, for one images being dressed in all black, santas veiled in black and the veneration of the wounds of Christ after the procession.

No comments:

Post a Comment